Process and timing
- About your Startup: Submit information about your company by answering to our questions on F6S .
- First feedback: We will send you feedback as quickly as possible to let you know, if your startup fits our basic criteria.
- Due diligence: Next we would start technical due diligence. Goal is to understand the capabilities of your product, service or technology and to identify your internal client at BMW. For example, if you aim to extend the range of our electric vehicles (EV), we will assess your technology with our EV team. This can take up to four weeks or more, depending on the complexity of your solution. During due diligence we may ask you more questions and we may conduct calls and personal meetings to understand your value proposition in detail.
- Unit One Request for Proposal: Next we would send you a Request for Unit One Proposal. Here we specify what Proof of Concept (POC) project we would like to conduct with you for validation. A POC could be to build a prototype or to pilot a new mobility service. You will now prepare a proposal, outlining tasks, timeline and budget to create that prototype. We call this Unit One, as your POC will be the first unit of your solution for the automotive industry.
- Acceptance: We will review your proposal. At agreement, we will invite you to join our program. Congratulations – you have just gained the BMW Group as your first automotive client.
Deadline: There is no deadline to submit your information. We are always interested to learn about exciting startups.
The product / service / technology
- The BMW Startup Garage is looking for early stage startups, whose product, service or technology makes a relevant contribution to improve our vehicles or mobility services. We are looking for 2 types of startups:
- Automotive startups – companies who target exclusively the mobility industry.
- Startups from other industries – companies that have a product, service or technology for other industries, whose solution can also be of value to the mobility industry.
- Early stage for us means: The solution of the startup is not yet proven and not yet marketed to its mainstream market. It may even be on a prototype stage. In VC terminology, we focus on pre-seed, seed and series A startups. If in doubt, if your startup is early stage, contact us.
- Startups offering any kind of consulting or engineering service are not in our scope.
- The startup is the sole owner of its intellectual property.
- A functional prototype of the solution has to exist.
The startup company
- Our program is for startup companies, which we define as legal entities (Inc., LLP, GmbH, etc.) from any country, that are not self-sufficient and majority-owned by its individual founders and venture capital investors.
- The management and development team has to work full-time for the startup.
- The startup has no shareholder that is a legal entity, OEM or OES, from the automotive industry.
Clients / sales / partnerships
- The startup has not yet sold its product, service or technology to any automotive manufacturer (OEM) or supplier (OES).
- The startup has not yet entered any type of partnership or supplier relationship with an OEM or OES.
Startups that have a relationship with other OEMs or OESs may still contact us so we can refer them within BMW Group.
Tips to be accepted
- We encourage startups founded by entrepreneurs with no startup experience to join an equity-based accelerator prior to sending their information to the BMW Startup Garage.
- We encourage startups to raise funding from a professional venture capitalist before sending their information to the BMW Startup Garage.