Process and timing
- About your Startup: To start the process of joining our program, which means becoming a partner and supplier of the BMW Group, just send us information about your company. We are looking for companies that can help us innovate @BMW – meaning, any of our products, services, processes and business models. In other words, we are looking for innovative solutions for our vehicles, services, factories, as well as IT, Financial, Administration and HR systems.
- Due diligence: Once we receive your information, we evaluate if your firm fits our basic criteria. Next we focus on understanding your solution – a technology, product or service. We are looking for unique solutions that can make a significant contribution to innovation @BMW. Unique means: your solution is better than those we have in our current ecosystem. During this stage, we will invite you to discuss your solution in depth with us, and potentially demo it.
- Unit One Request for Proposal: Next, we will send you a Request for Proposal. Here we specify what Proof of Concept (POC) project we would like to conduct with you for validation. A POC project, which is limited to 3 months in duration, could be to integrate a prototype of your technology into a BMW vehicle, or to pilot a new mobility service, or to test a new IT system, or to run a pilot for a new manufacturing solution.
- Acceptance: The last stage is to review and fine-tune your proposal. At agreement, we will invite you to join our program. Prior to kick-off of the POC project, you will now get an official BMW Supplier Number and a Purchase Order. Congratulations – you have just gained the BMW Group as your client.
Timing: The whole process can be as short as four weeks. This general depends on how relevant and unique your solution is.
Deadline: There is no deadline to submit your information. We are always interested to learn about exciting startups.
The product / service / technology
- The BMW Startup Garage is looking for early stage startups, whose product, service or technology makes a relevant contribution to improve our vehicles or mobility services. We are looking for 2 types of startups:
- Automotive startups – companies who target exclusively the mobility industry.
- Startups from other industries – companies that have a product, service or technology for other industries, whose solution can also be of value to the mobility industry.
- Early stage for us means: The solution of the startup is not yet proven and not yet marketed to its mainstream market. It may even be on a prototype stage. In VC terminology, we focus on pre-seed, seed and series A startups. If in doubt, if your startup is early stage, contact us.
- Startups offering any kind of consulting or engineering service are not in our scope.
- The startup is the sole owner of its intellectual property.
- A functional prototype of the solution has to exist.
The startup company
- Our program is for startup companies, which we define as legal entities (Inc., LLP, GmbH, etc.) from any country, that are not self-sufficient and majority-owned by its individual founders and venture capital investors.
- The management and development team has to work full-time for the startup.
- The startup has no shareholder that is a legal entity, OEM or OES, from the automotive industry.
Clients / sales / partnerships
- The startup has not yet sold its product, service or technology to any automotive manufacturer (OEM) or supplier (OES).
- The startup has not yet entered any type of partnership or supplier relationship with an OEM or OES.
Startups that have a relationship with other OEMs or OESs may still contact us so we can refer them within BMW Group.
Tips to be accepted
- We encourage startups founded by entrepreneurs with no startup experience to join an equity-based accelerator prior to sending their information to the BMW Startup Garage.
- We encourage startups to raise funding from a professional venture capitalist before sending their information to the BMW Startup Garage.